Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Queen's Carrot Ginger Soup


Ginger Carrot Soup 
adapted from Aunt Lynn aka THE QUEEN's Christmas Eve Menu
(I love her)


I eat this soup every Christmas Eve at my Aunt Lynn's house. It is my favorite soup of all time and I crave it every year when September rolls around. This year I decided to try to make it on my own. I took what I knew from my Aunt Lynn and made up my own recipe. It is easy and so delicious! Serve with crusty bread or grated cheese. Mmmmm.

1/2 large vidalia onion - chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lbs carrots - peeled, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
2 inch piece Ginger - shredded
5 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 cup Half and Half or heavy whipping cream










1. Melt butter over low heat in a dutch oven. Add onions, garlic, and olive oil. Cook until onions are translucent.
2. Add carrots, ginger, chicken broth, pepper, and salt. Stir and turn heat up to medium. Cook for 25 minutes. Use an immersion/hand held blender to blend the carrots and the broth.  
3. Stir in half and half slowly. Turn heat down to med-low and cook for 15 more minutes. Use the immersion blender to make sure you have blended everything. Your soup should be thick, but not chunky!

ENJOY!!

1 comment:

  1. That looks so delcious.. If you like Chicken Enchilada soup you should go to my blog and grab the recipe I just tried it night before last and it was sooo yummy...

    ReplyDelete