One of Mr. Bear's FAVORITE meals is baked penne with vodka sauce. I always use penne and Bertoli's Vodka Sauce, but the extras often vary: chicken, olives, broccoli, spinach, tomatoes, meatballs, and so on. Last night I whipped up a very SIMPLE broccoli, olive, pasta bake.
8oz shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 jar Bertolli Vodka Sauce
1/2 can medium Black Pitted Olives
2 small heads of Broccoli
1 teaspoon minced Garlic
1 box Penne
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Coat the bottom of a medium skillet with olive oil. Add the minced garlic. Heat the olive oil and garlic on low-medium.
2. Roughly chop the broccoli and add it to the skillet. Using a rubber spatula, move the broccoli around so that it does not burn. If it starts to stick, add a tablespoon of water to the pan. Keep the broccoli cooking on low-med heat.
3. Boil a large pot of lightly salted water. Add the penne. Cook 10-12 minutes. Drain.
4. Pour the cooked pasta in a large baking dish. Add the broccoli and olives. Cover the pasta with 80% Vodka sauce (reserve the rest for after the dish is complete). Sprinkle a good amount of salt and pepper over the pasta.
5. Using a slotted spoon, mix the pasta, broccoli, olives, and sauce together. Cover the pasta with 8oz shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.