Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Recipe from Samantha

Samantha's Spicey Baked Macaroni

I think it is safe to say that all of the girls in my family know how to cook. We are all from Italian descent (aka my Grandmother mom's mom). My cousin, Samantha, sent me a text photo of a tasty looking dish earlier today and I just had to share her recipe. She took a Giada De Laurentiis recipe and made it her own (sounds exactly like something I would do!). My cousin is my mom's sister's daughter and more like a sister than anything! I love her so much and can't wait for her to come visit us next month! Without furter adeau: Samantha's Spicy Baked Macaroni!

3/4 lb whole wheat elbow pasta
EVOO- enough to coat saute pan
1 onion, chopped
1 can of diced tomato, with juice
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 lb baby bella mushrooms, quatered (or pre-sliced)
1 bag frozen cut leaf spinach
1/4 cup romano, plus 1/3 cup
1/4 cup parmigano reggiano, plus 1/3 cup
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
12 oz mozzarella, cubed (I also used 8 small fresh mozz balls)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (i've also used up to 1 tsp to add some extra kick)
1/4 tsp nutmeg
butter or margarine- enough to grease baking pan plus about 2 tbsp to dot the top

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Boil water and add pasta- cook until al dente.
3. In saute pan/skillet over medium heat add oil, mushroom, onion and garlic- cook about 7 mins or until onion is golden. Add tomatoes, spinach, crushed red pepper- cook 5 more minutes.
4. Mix 1/4 c romano and 1/4 c parm with bread crumbs. Grease casserole dish/baking pan and coat the bottom and sides of the greased pan with half the bread crumb mixture.
5. In large bowl mix the veggie mixture, pasta, nutmeg, and the remaining parm/romano cheeses. spoon into prepped baking pan. Top with remaining bread crumb mixture and dot the top with remaining butter. Bake until golden brown ~30-40 mins.
ENJOY!! :)

Thank you my lovey for the awesome recipe. I can't wait to try it for myself. Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment