Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Breakfast Strata


Both of my mother-in-laws are known for whipping up a pretty awesome breakfast casserole when they have the kids in town. Granted I usually cannot eat them (no offense MOLs - you know it's the meat and not your cooking), I have always wanted to make one. SO in honor of our first visitors this past weekend I attempted my first breakfast casserole - a.k.a. Breakfast Strata - which Mr. Bear kindly informed me was when there is ham in it. Here is my adaptation of the Paula Deen Breakfast Casserole my MOL makes:
8 slices whole wheat bread - broken up
6 eggs
2 c milk
3 dashes hot sauce
1 c cubed cooked ham
1 bag shredded mixed Cheddar Cheeses
6 leftover pieces of Roasted Asparagus (optional)
2 teaspoons each Salt & Pepper

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Cover the bottom of the dish with the broken up bread.
2. In a large bowl, scramble the eggs with the milk, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
3. Cover the bread in the dish with ham (if you can't eat meat like me, only put it on one side - and the asparagus on the other).
4. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and ham.
5. Sprinkle the bag of cheese over the bread, ham, and eggs.
6. Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F. Enjoy with fresh salsa or more hot sauce!

3 comments:

  1. I am so making this on Saturday or Sunday! Although I'm going to substitute Morningstar bacon for the ham. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been waiting for this recipe:)
    Definitely going to be trying that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm. I LOVE strata. My Mom made a similar one for Christmas morning and it was SO delish. Need to make my own!

    ReplyDelete