Thursday, February 18, 2010

Apple Bread


Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Breast Cancer Awareness Cookbook 2007

Apple Bread

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 c peeled, shredded apple (roughly one apple)
1 egg, beaten
1 c sugar
1/4 c baking oil
1. Grease the bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of an 8x4x2 inch loaf pan, set aside. In a medium bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg. Make a well in center of the flour mixture, set aside.
2. In another medium bowl combin egg, sugar, apple, and oil. Add apple mixture all at once to the well in the center of the flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Spread into prepared pan.
3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack. Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
My husband and I were so surprised at how easy and tasty this bread is! I drizzled a little bit of caramel sauce from a packet I had leftover after bringing the boys I nanny to McDonalds. I also sampled a few pieces slathered with a thin layer of Trader Joe's Pumkin Butter or Peanut Butter. Both shmears were pretty tasty - but the bread is really the best when eaten by itself!

2 comments:

  1. I am allergic to apples... booo... but this looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm down for apple anything. That sounds SO delicious!!

    ReplyDelete