Here is another recipe that I made a couple of years ago... These boats were made for Mr. Bear when he was still just my boyfriend - therefore, I don't have any pictures. (Back then I didn't take pictures of my food...). Spinach and Sausage French Bread Boats are a quick and easy meal one can make to impress a special boy (or girl) in their life. Serve alongside a salad if you are feel frisky.
1 package Italian sausage link (mild or hot)
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 TBSP minced garlic
Non-stick cooking spray
1 bag baby spinach leaves
8oz ricotta cheese
8oz shredded mozzarella cheese
1 TBSP Italian seasoning
1 TSP red pepper flakes
salt & pepper
1 loaf French bread - sliced lengthwise and hollowed out
*don't buy the skinny French baguette... you need a big fat loaf!*
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Remove sausage from casing. Brown in skillet over medium heat. Drain. Add sausage back to the skillet and add onions and garlic. Cook 3-5 minutes. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
3. Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add spinach to skillet, season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat until wilted. Add to bowl with sausage and onion.
4. After mixture cools for 4-5 minutes, add ricotta cheese to the bowl. Mix thoroughly.
5. Fill hollowed out bread halves with mixture. Top one pizza with 1/2 seasoning and 1/2 cheese, repeat for other pizza.
6. Bake on pizza stone 12-15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and crust is crisp.