Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Carrot Cupcakes


When I saw the recipe for carrot cupcakes I envisioned a tiny little circle of carrot cake... not what Little T (my pretend son) and I just whipped up. BUT when I put a piece of one of these weird looking cupcakes into my mouth, I realized I might have found a path to heaven-ly goodness. Try them out with your kids... or the ones that you nanny (like me)... or with your husband! I bet he won't believe you that carrot cupcakes are GOOD!

Parents Magazine - November 2009 - LET THEM EAT CUPCAKES
2 cups white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup orange juice
1 1/2 cups grated carrots



1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk until blended. In a separate bowl, beat eggs and sugar with a wooden spoon. Add oil and orange juice, then combine with flour mixture. Fold in carrots.

2. Divide batter among prepared liners. Bake 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack and cool completely. Makes 18 cupcakes.

We didn't have enough cream cheese for frosting, so I made a simple sugar glaze:
1 box confectioner's sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
3-4 tablespoons milk
1/3 cup butter
Beaten together until creamy with an electric mixer (ours looks so runny b/c we didn't have enough confectioner's sugar either - still yummy though!)

1 comment:

  1. A girl after my own heart! Like you, I ADORE cooking, but somehow always manage to tweak a recipe to make it my own. Looking forward to following you through your culinary adventures!

    xoxo,
    Sophie

    ReplyDelete