Thursday, March 4, 2010

Homemade Pesto


My cousin Samantha taught me how to make my own pesto this past weekend (her personal recipe) and let me tell you... it is TDF (to die for). I used it on our favorite chicken pesto pizza and AHH it was so much better than Trader Joe's (sorry TJ, but mine is the bomb diggity...yes I definitely just pulled that out right out of 6th grade).

2 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 garlic cloves - minced
1/2 Parmesan Reggiano - grated

1. In a food processor, add half of the pine nuts and half of the basil leaves. Process until smooth and then add the remaining pine nuts, basil leaves, minced garlic cloves, and the olive oil.
2. Pour the mixture into a bowl and fold in the cheese. Taste - if you feel that it isn't perfect (it is too oily, too basil-y), then add more cheese!
3. Refridgerate for atleast one hour before using. Then add to your favorite pasta or pizza recipe.

NOTE: Fresh pesto would also be tasty mixed with cream cheese and used as a dip for garlic herb toast...Try it!

3 comments:

  1. Using a food processor is brilliant...the only time I've made pesto it called for a mortar and pestle. How not fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm... and aren't food processor's the absolute BEST?! woot!

    ReplyDelete