Thursday, March 18, 2010

Asparagus and Roasted Red Pepper Pie

I always strive to eat healthy - not just because I have a weak stomach - but also for the fact that I feel better knowing I am putting good things into my body. And to be honest, I care about my weight. I work out 5-6 times a week and I pay attention to my daily fat and calorie intake. I found The Athlete's Palate Cookbook to be very inspiring as it is filled with tons of recipes by renowned chefs who care about their bodies too!
Chef Joe Carei is a runner who came up with a recipe for an Asparagus Omelet Tart in a Dill Polenta Crust that will fuel your body after a big run or race. I used his recipe as inspiration to create a "breakfast-for-dinner" meal  that Mr. Bear couldn't turn his back to. This delicious Asparagus and Roasted Red Pepper Pie can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner - and the leftovers are even great served cold! 

Crust
3 cups fat free vegetable broth
3/4 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 teaspoons black pepper
1 teaspoon salt

Pie Filling
1 lb fresh asparagus, bottoms trimmed and cut into 2" pieces
1 small jar roasted red peppers, drained and diced
4 large eggs
1/2 cup 1% Organic Milk
1 tablespoon Tobasco sauce
1/3 cup diced white onion
3/4 cup shredded Fontina cheese
1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese

Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring the broth to a boil in a medium saucepan and whisk in the cornmeal slowly. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir frequently.
2. When the polenta does not stick to the sides of the pot, add the thyme and pepper. Mix thoroughly. Pour the polenta into a pie plate and spread evenly. Cook for 10 minutes.
3. Blanch the asparagus pieces in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and set aside in a medium size bowl. Add the roasted red pepper and onions to the asparagus.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and hot sauce. 
5. Place the asparagus, peppers, and onion mixture on top of the polenta shell. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the vegetables. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Bake for 45 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. OMG this looks DELICIOUS!! bookmark bookmark bookmark!

    ReplyDelete