Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Nigella's Red Pepper Hummus


(on the left... mmm mmm good)
In honor of my cousin's visit this past weekend I broke out the Nigella Lawson, Nigella Express Cookbook, she gave me for Christmas last year. I whipped up some Red Pepper Hummus last night for our homemade happy hour this evening before we go out to dinner. My changes to the ingredients are in orange and the directions are in my own words. I will be serving carrot sticks, cucumber slices, and pita chips alongside the Hummus.

Ingredients
12-ounce jar roasted red peppers (Italian style with whole garlic)
14-ounce can chickpeas/garbanzo beans
1 teaspoon paprika (omitted)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons cream cheese (fat-free)
1 teaspoon lime juice (omitted)
Salt (omitted)

Directions

Drain the red peppers (remove the garlic) and chickpeas. Make sure to rinse the chickpeas thoroughly - the liquid they soak in can make you gassy!

Put the chickpeas in the food processor and process until chunky. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and process until smooth. Add the roasted red peppers and another tablespoon of oil. Process until the mixture is red. Add the cream cheese and process until smooth.

Put the hummus in an airtight container and chill for 30 minutes (or overnight like me). Serve with vegetable crudite, pita chips, triscuits, pretzals, or whatever you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment